Is a Tagline Really Necessary in Product Marketing?
Tagline has been part of branding since marketing and advertising were invented. Using a handful of words (the fewer the better in most cases) to sum up a key point of difference works as a kind of shorthand for the customer to form an opinion about a brand. A tagline for a brand may start by simply stating a clear point of difference.
Before I explain the importance of the tagline in product marketing, it might be useful to explain what taglines are and how to make the perfect tagline to capture people’s eyes at a glance.
According to Wikipedia, tagline is “a small amount of text which serves to clarify a thought for, or designed with a form of, dramatic effect. [It’s a] variant of a branding slogan”. Or in other words, tagline is a key phrase that identifies your product by capturing the essence of these three elements:
- Your mission
- Your promise
- Your brand
To capture a reader’s eye at a glance, you need to combine all these three elements to create a great tagline that really works. Here’s how:
- There’s a saying in the copywriting world: “Be clear, not clever”. Start building a tagline with the purpose of your site. Decide what you have to offer. Pick the focus of your site – stick with it.
- Let’s talk about the benefits. When people see your tagline, some of them don’t care. Some of them will think there is nothing stands out or nothing seems attractive. If you are facing this kind of obstacle, start to adding benefits to a tagline. With this, you’re telling people what they get from you.
- Make your tagline reflect your business image. Show the personality of your business. Give people a little sneak peek of your business’s brand in your tagline. Pick an adjective that encompasses your business image, take the summary of your benefits and tack that to your mission.
So, why use taglines? What is so important about it?
Taglines are a good and fast way to tell people what your product is about. And this matters, because people want to understand what your product is about, so they know if you have what they want. Here are the reasons why picking a tagline is important for your product marketing.
- Tells the key benefits of your product.
- Product differentiation.
- Recognition of your product.
- Something that the competitors can’t copy.
- Represents the vision and mission of the product.
With all of that explanation, we can know that tagline is an important thing if you want to market your product. Because it can make your product getting known easily or even getting remembered by people just with a glance of your tagline.
This article was written by Shaneth Good